en-USes-MX
Precinct One Events

Fourth Trailblazer recognized for Black History Month

Commissioner Cook read a tribute to Wade Ervin Sauls, Sr. during Commissioners Court on Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2022.

  • 22 February 2022
  • Author: Doris Sanchez
  • Number of views: 1383
  • 0 Comments

Photo of Wade Ervin Sauls, Sr. standing in front of several horses posted by Tina Steiner on her Facebook page.

Born on the 4th of July in 1879 to former slave parents, Wade Sauls married Louisa Allen Robertson on April 18, 1896 at a very youthful age and proceeded to dominate farming in crop production. He was sought by many farmers for help in their crops but chose to go to the A.J. Palm Farm in Palm Valley to become Mrs Aders (Anna) Palm’s overseer for her farm.  He grew cotton, hay, cash crops, and raised livestock for her over 36 years.  As one of the first to farm cotton in the region, he was called the Cotton King by locals because he could get a full bushel of cotton out of an acre of land, and he was also the first farmer in the season to produce the initial bale of cotton of the season.

Wade and Louisa resided in a home on the A.J. Palm farm until he purchased his own land in the area of Dell Diamond and built a house.  He became a farmer and rancher on that land. The milk produced by his cows was delivered to the Round Rock Cheese Co., our very own cheese factory in Round Rock along Brushy Creek. Meanwhile his growing family reached 17 children of which 15 survived into adulthood (bless that Louisa).

Williamson County to Host Career Fair on March 3

Press Release from the Williamson County Public Information Office

  • 21 February 2022
  • Author: Doris Sanchez
  • Number of views: 1217
  • 0 Comments

Icon of people's silhouettes in blue with Career Fair wording in front from Bing.com

For job seekers looking for a meaningful career working to help their community, Williamson County is hosting a career fair on Thursday, March 3, from noon to 6 p.m.

The event will take place at the Williamson County Georgetown Annex, located at 100 Wilco Way in Georgetown.

At the event, attendees will have the opportunity to learn more about Williamson County’s current vacancies, health benefits and positional responsibilities.

Additionally, attendees will have the chance to meet and greet with potential future managers and co-workers, as several departments will have representatives on-hand.

These departments include Road and Bridge, the Tax Assessor/Collector’s office, Sheriff’s Office, Parks Department, Facilities, Purchasing, Elections and many more.

Third Recognition for Black History Month of Three Trailblazers

Commissioner Cook reads a tribute to S.C. Marshall, Mary Smith Bailey, and Joe Lee Johnson during Commissioners Court on Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022.

  • 15 February 2022
  • Author: Doris Sanchez
  • Number of views: 1094
  • 0 Comments

These three Black educators had major influences for change in the lives of children of color in Williamson County through providing them educational opportunities.

S.C. Marshall

Photo of S. C. Marshall on Community Impact website story.The first African American school in Georgetown began in 1910 and was in a three-room facility called The Colored School, where it offered an education for those children in first to eighth grades. The first principal was S.C. Marshall, a scholar himself who attained multiple undergraduate degrees from Tillotson College (forerunner of Huston Tillotson University in Austin), the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, and Prairie State Normal College (now Prairie View A&M) and a graduate degree from Fisk University in Nashville, TN, one of the Historically Black College and Universities.

Up until 1913, the school only offered education up to the 8th grade, but S.C. Marshall persuaded the Georgetown School Board to allow him to educate students through high school. In 1923, a new expanded building was built, and more teachers were hired.

By the end of the 1920s, that school was fully accredited for college entrance.

The Colored School was renamed Marshall High School when S.C. Marshall went to Huston-Tillotson (Tillotson) College for a new job in 1930. It kept that name until the 1940s when the name was changed to the George Washington Carver School. It eventually closed with integration in 1965.

Standing as a testament to the positive impact and vision of S.C. Marshall, the school had many graduates of color pursue higher education at the college and university levels.

Site of Marshall-Carver High School historical Marker | Williamson County Texas History

Mary Smith Bailey

Photo of Mary Smith Bailey on Community Impact webpage story.As we can all agree, a good quality preschool can start a young child on a positive road in education. Unfortunately, a preschool education was not easily attainable for children of color in the early decades of the 20th Century.

Mary Smith Bailey’s impact was on those children of color. Ms. Bailey, from Georgetown (born about 1890), studied child development at Huston-Tillotson College in Austin, where she received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees. After a 39-year career as a public-school teacher in the predominantly Black schools of Yarbrough, Bruton (at Jonah), Corn Hill, and Jarrell, she retired in 1953 and began The West Side Kindergarten in Georgetown, so mothers could work at least half a day. It was the first preschool in the area to offer preschool services to non-white children. She believed that young children benefitted most from an educational environment that emphasized development in self-confidence,

Updated: Second Trailblazer Recognized for Black History Month - Photo Added

Commissioner Cook reads a tribute to Otto Sauls during Commissioners Court on Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2022.

  • 8 February 2022
  • Author: Doris Sanchez
  • Number of views: 990
  • 0 Comments

Photo of Otto Sauls, property of Tina Steiner & Family, taken from https://www.thestoryoftexas.com/discover/texas-story-project/my-grandpa-the-pied-piper-of-round-rock.

A member of the venerable Sauls Family of Williamson County, Otto Sauls was born in 1906, one of 15 children of Wade and Louisa Sauls, and was a prolific builder and craftsman. He constructed homes in Georgetown and in and around Round Rock, as well as in Brenham and Fredericksburg. Many homes on Liberty, Burnet, Anderson, Spring and Sheppard Streets were built or remodeled by the hand of Otto Sauls. Many stand today like Papi’s Pies on Chisholm Trail in Round Rock.

Before his construction career, Mr. Sauls attended Paul Quinn College in the 1930s, an African Methodist Episcopal affiliated school which was started in Austin, moved to Waco, where Otto attended, and is now located in Dallas. Afterward, he attended the Georgetown Flying School to realize his first dream of aviation; however, he was forced to quit because he was black.  He did build model airplanes that would fly up to 50’ high.  Aviation was his first love.

Otto Sauls was an American Veteran, serving in the Army in the Pacific front during World War II.

In 1958, Mr. Sauls helped relocate and rebuild St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church, a church the Sauls Family helped establish in Round Rock in 1885, to make way for I-35. It still stands today in that same location off Sheppard Street in Round Rock with much of the lumber, pews, and the pulpit from the original church on the west side of now I-35 South of the location of Sprouts Grocery Market.

Trailblazer Recognized for Black History Month

Commissioner Cook reads a tribute to Juanita Craft during Commissioners Court on Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2022.

  • 2 February 2022
  • Author: Doris Sanchez
  • Number of views: 1070
  • 0 Comments

Juanita J. Craft

Born February 9, 1902 in Round Rock, Juanita Craft, a granddaughter of slaves, went on to become one of the most significant civil rights leaders in Texas. She was greatly affected by her mother's death from tuberculosis after being refused hospital treatment when there were no state hospitals for black Texans.

She attended Prairie View A&M and received a teaching certificate from Samuel Huston College (now Huston Tillotson University in Austin) and worked at the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas as a maid and a dressmaker.

In 1935, she joined the NAACP, where she became the Dallas NAACP membership chairman in 1942 and the Texas NAACP field organizer in 1946, establishing 182 NAACP chapters. In 1944, she became the first black woman in Dallas County to vote in a public election.

She worked to integrate the University of Texas Law School, North Texas State College (now University of North Texas), Dallas Independent School District, the Texas State Fair, and numerous theaters, restaurants, and lunch counters. As you can imagine, she consistently sat in “Whites Only” sections of trains on her trips across Texas and refused to move. Ms. Craft was so well-regarded that Lyndon Johnson and Martin Luther King, Jr. visited her in her home to discuss the future of the civil rights movement.

RSS
135678910Last

Theme picker