The request must be made to the County Engineer's Office prior to the date of closure according to the following criteria:
- If no alternate route for Emergency Vehicles is required a minimum of 9 calendar days advanced notice is suggested
- If there is a requirement to determine an alternate route for Emergency Vehicles then a minimum of 19 calendar days advanced notice is suggested.
For large races (approximately 100+ participants) that completely shut down multiple roads a minimum of 18 calendar days will be required to facilitate scheduling of the various manpower required
- For smaller races that do not completely shut down roads a minimum of 9 calendar days will be required to facilitate scheduling of the various manpower required
See the following Williamson County Sheriff’s Office documents relating to Bicycle Races:
All races are subject to final approval by the Sheriff’s Office in accordance to Legislative Code (Acts 1995 74th Legislative Code 165, effective September 1, 1995).
Other Special Events:
- Minimum of 9 calendar days is suggested (These can be addressed on a case by case basis)
What to expect when you need to submit a Road Closure Request:
- The Commissioners Office will fill out the request form electronically and forward it to the appropriate departments for review to see if there are any issues that need to be addressed prior to placing the request on next Commissioners Court Agenda. *(The deadline for placing items on an agenda is by noon on the Thursday before the Tuesday court date)
- For non-complicated requests this review process should not take more than 5 to 9 calendar days then it is placed on the Commissioners Court Agenda.
- For complicated requests which require determining alternate routes for necessary traffic or Emergency Vehicles this review process could take as long as 5 to 9 calendar days then it is placed on the Commissioners Court Agenda.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the “Initiator” acknowledging that the request has been received and is going through the review process.
- Once the request has gone through the initial review process and there are no issues to be addressed, the request will be placed on the next Commissioners Court Agenda.
- Keep in mind that the deadline for placing items on the following Tuesday’s agenda is by noon the Thursday before the next Court Session. Please take that into account when trying to determine how far in advance you need to submit your request.
- Once the Court votes on the request the following will take place:
- If approved:
- A confirmation email will be sent to the Initiator and to all entities involved in the review process stating that it has been approved.
- Prior to the event the necessary cones and/or barricades will be delivered by the appropriate Williamson County Representative to the receiving person listed on the request form. A signature will be required from the person accepting delivery of the cones and/or barricades which will acknowledge the following: