Fingerprinting services

Ink fingerprinting is available Monday through Friday and no appointment is necessary.

  • Hours are 8:30 am - 11:00 am and again from 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
  • Cards are $5.00 each.  We accept exact cash, checks and credit cards.  Credit cards have a small fee (approximately $0.11 per card).
  • We offer FBI or DPS cards but you must know which one you need.

I need a copy of a report (not a vehicle crash)

If you are looking for a copy of your incident report, arrest report or incarceration verification, please call 512-943-1300 and push option 5.

If you are another agency, you can send an email from your agency email account to WCSO-openrecords@wilco.org.  As a citizen, please do not send emails to this account.  Call the number above.

If you have been told to put your request in writing, fill out the following request - Open Records Request Form.  DO NOT fill out this request unless you have been requested to do so as this could delay receiving your reports.  You can mail in the request, fax it to 512-943-1444 or bring it in person.

Vehicle crash reports

There are a couple of options to locate your vehicle crash report.

  • Call 512-943-1300 and choose option 4.
    • You will need to know the date and name of a driver.  It helps if you know the location.
  • Go to https://cris.dot.state.tx.us/public/Purchase.
    • Again, you will need to know the date and name of a driver - choose contains for the name, not matches exactly.
    • Only put in Williamson County, not a city.
    • Do not put in a report number.
  • If the accident was done by the Sheriff's Office, there is a request form to fill out and a $6.00 fee.  Call for options to complete these requirements.

I need to report loose livestock, animals running at large, a dog bite or an injured or dead animal

Call 512-864-8282 and choose option 6.

If I need to report a controlled burn or have questions regarding the County burn ban

Call 512-864-8282 and choose option 3.

I want to pick up property that is in evidence

Property that has been put into evidence (not jail property) is released by appointment only.  Fill out the request so the evidence department can determine if we have the said property and if the said property is releasable.  If we have it and it is releasable, an appointment will be made for you to come pick up your evidence.

Disposal of used medications

The Williamson County Sheriff's Office has a kiosk in our foyer for citizens to safely and securely dispose of unused/unwanted or expired medications.

Accepted:  Controlled substances, prescription medications, over-the-counter medications and pet medications.

Not accepted:  Liquids, lotions, inhalers, aerosol cans, hydrogen peroxide, thermometers, needles (sharps) or medications from businesses or clinics.

How do I report drug activity?

You can call 512-943-1170 to report any activity you believe to be drug related or you can email druginfo@wilco.

Removal of dead animals

If you notice a dead animal on the side of a county maintained road, please call Road & Bridge at (512) 943-3330, and they will get it taken care of as soon as possible. They do not have the means to pick up large livestock nor will they go onto personal property.  Animal Control nor Road & Bridge will pick up dead animals in  your yard.

Where can I find information about the Williamson County Sheriff's Office Brown Santa program?

Click here to find information about Brown Santa.

Questions about Jail

Who do I call to ask about someone who has been arrested?

Call Jail Information at (512) 943-1365 for all information about people in jail.

How does visitation work?

CLICK HERE to learn more about inmate visitation.

Where can I go to ask about someone who has been arrested?

You can go to the jail reception entrance located at 306 W. 4th Street at the North end of the Sheriff's Office.

How do I send an inmate money?

CLICK HERE to find out how to deposit money into an inmate's trustee account.

Where is the Williamson County Jail?

Williamson County Jail
306 W. 4th Street
Georgetown, TX
(512) 943-1365
Driving Directions

Who do I contact if my vehicle has been impounded?

Contact Communications at (512) 864-8282 and select option 1 and option1 again to find out who and where your vehicle was towed.  If towed to the Sheriff's Office impound yard, they accept checks, money orders or credit cards.

Where can I find an approved Bondsman?

Williamson County's Bail Bond Board provides an updated list of licensed Bondsmen each month, CLICK HERE for the most updated list.
Frequently Asked Alarms Questions

How do I get an application/permit?

Download a copy of the application for permit. Complete it fully, and return it with the required fee to the address on the bottom of the form.  You may also call the Alarm Unit at (512)-943-1340 and an application can be emailed, faxed or mailed via USPS, to you.  You may stop by the Sheriffs Office and pick up an application.  Your alarm permit will be returned to you in the mail.  You do not have to post it in a front window, just know where it is in the event you must show proof of permit.

How much does a permit cost?

Permits cost $25.00 for two years and is renewed every other year.  A renewal notice is mailed 30 days prior to the permit expiring.

How many false alarms are allowed before I am fined and how much is the fine?

Five free false alarms are allowed in a one-year period.  The one-year period begins at the time you have your first false alarm.  All others are billed at the rate of $75.00 each, until the one-year period ends.  You then begin a second period with another five free false alarms, and the process continues.  Your alarm permit can be revoked for non-payment of assessed fines or have more than nine fake alarms in a one year period.

If I move or sell my house or business, what do I do?

Contact the Alarm Unit of the Sheriffs Office at (512) 943-1340 and tell the administrator the date you will vacate the premises, your new address, and provide the name of the new owner.  Be certain you call your alarm company and have the system cut off and removed from your name.

Can I leave my alarm permit for the new owner\occupant?

No. The permit is not transferable to another person or address.  It must be cancelled and the new owner\occupant must purchase a permit in their name.

What do I do when I go on vacation, or I am going to be away from home for an extended period of time?

First, call your alarm company and tell them the dates you will be gone and the name of the person you are leaving in charge of your home.  Provide them with all the telephone numbers where that person can be reached.  Be sure the person is fully trained on the use of your system and knows the codes to cut off and reset your alarm system.

How long can an alarm system sound before I am fined?

Every alarm system must have a 30-minute shut-off feature.

What is the procedure for apartment complexes with security systems pre-wired in each unit?

First, the lease manager or owner of the apartments must purchase a permit for the lease office and common areas.  Each occupant who desires to use the security system in their individually leased unit must first purchase a security (alarm) permit.  You are subject to all the same rules and responsibilities as a homeowner.

What is a false alarm?

According to the Williamson County Resolution, a false alarm is any officer response call to your home and the officer finds no evidence or situation requiring law enforcement, fire, or medical emergency response personnel. There is no evidence of an attempted crime, crime in progress, or crime that has just occurred.  There is no fire.  No one needs medical attention.  It does not matter what caused the signal or who caused the alarm to occur.

A false alarm can be caused by numerous things. Examples are:

  • Visitors, real estate agents, contractors, cleaning crews, or simple error
  • Doors and windows left ajar or unlocked
  • Animals inside the premises and the sensors are too low or too sensitive
  • Mail dropped through a mail-drop slot
  • Power outages coupled with improper battery back-up system
  • Telephone line problems
  • Overly-sensitive system that activates when persons rattle a door or window
  • Drapes or balloons blowing in the breeze or air conditioner vent
  • Errors by alarm monitoring service