Adoption: Adult or Child
A party or parties must follow the Texas Family Code 162.00  if adopting in the State of Texas. The code sets out specific statutes regarding the adoption of a child or an adult.  The adoption petition is filed in the District Clerk’s Office, and there are filing fees attached. There also will be additional fees attached for costs incurred by ad litem fees, home studies etc. These are just to name a few that will be in addition to the costs charged by the clerk to file the petition. The adoption process is very technical in law, and the party must adhere to all procedures set out in the Family Code. Please be advised the clerk nor the court can guide you through the process. If you cannot afford an attorney, there are resources that you may investigate such as Texaslawhelp.org, Texas Lawyer Referral Service or the State Bar for a listing of attorneys.
Further Child Support Information

The District Clerk's office will answer other information regarding child support in writing, by phone or in person. Please provide the name of the payer, the payee and the court case number. We are sorry, but we cannot provide legal advice. The office is located in the Williamson County Justice Center, 405 M.L.K. St., Georgetown, Texas. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or you may call (512) 943-1212. The mailing address is: Lisa David, Williamson County District Clerk, P.O. Box 24, Georgetown, Texas 78627.

Click here to download a copy of the Child Support IWO

Click here to download a copy of the Spousal Support IWO

Click here to download a copy of the Record of Support for State Case Registry

Name Changes in the State of Texas

A name change petition is filed in the District Clerk’s office and requires specific statutes to be followed.

The Texas Family Code Chapter 45 sets out the law regarding doing a name change for adults as well as minors. A filing fee is paid at the time of filing of the petition in the clerk’s office. Please be advised that the clerk nor the court can advise you on the law regarding your name change petition.
Click here to download a Change of Address form. (This form can be mailed to the District Clerks office)

Child Support Information

As of September 2004, all child support payments have been directed to the San Antonio Disbursement Unit. Changes of name and address for child support payments must be made by mail to the District Clerk. No telephone changes can be accepted. Any changes of employers must be made by contacting the District Clerk and a form must be filled out with updated information. A $15 fee is charged for new withholding orders to employers.

Lisa David
Williamson County District Clerk
P.O. Box 24
Georgetown, Texas 78627
Legal Definitions
Pro se:  advocating on one's own behalf before a court, forgoing legal representation by an attorney.
Frequently Asked Question

Can you tell me how to file my own divorce?

We are not attorneys and are prohibited by law from giving any legal advice. We cannot give you instructions on filing your divorce or answer any questions on the accuracy of your papers or how to present your case to the judge. If you intend to represent yourself pro se, without the assistance of an attorney, you must have the knowledge to prepare and file the proper pleadings and present your case to the court. We advise you to consult an attorney if you have any questions or are unsure as to what you need to do.

Do you have the forms to file a divorce?

The District Clerk does not have the papers or forms necessary for the filing of a divorce or any other law suit or pleading.

How do I get a copy of my divorce decree or other copies?

All copies are $1.00 for the first page and $.25 for each additional page. All certified copies are $1.00 per page. Copies of documents may be obtained upon payment of the appropriate fees either in person during regular office hours, or by writing or calling the District Clerk's office to obtain the purchase amount. Please include the case number and/or names of the parties to the case when making inquiries.

What are the office hours of the District Clerk's office?

The District Clerk's office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

How do I get a case set or get information on a court hearing?

To set your case for a hearing or to appear on the uncontested docket or to check on a setting, you must call the court administrator of the appropriate court at one of the following phone numbers:

277th District Court - (512) 943-1277

368th District Court - (512) 943-1368

26th District Court - (512) 943-1226

395th District Court - (512) 943-1395
425th District Court - (512) 943-3380
County Court at Law No. 1 - (512) 943-1201

County Court at Law No. 2 - (512) 943-1410

County Court at Law No. 3 - (512) 943-1160
County Court at Law No. 4 - (512) 943-1681

How do I file an answer when I have been served with a citation?

The District Clerk does not have a form for filing an answer and cannot assist you on how to file an answer. We are not attorneys and are prohibited by law from giving any legal advice. Consult an attorney for any assistance.

What do I do about the taxes when a delinquent tax suit has been filed against me?

Contact the appropriate Tax Assessor-Collector regarding the amount of taxes owed or for information on payment of the taxes. Since a tax suit has been filed, court costs will also be due in addition to the taxes. Contact the District Clerk's office for the amount of court costs and payment information.